Application Help


Contact Us (Back to Index)

Please contact Taxpayer Service with any questions regarding this application at 410-260-7980 or 1-800-MD-TAXES. Alternatively, you may send an email to for assistance.

Organization FEIN (Back to Index)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (or FEIN), is a nine-digit number that the IRS assigns to business entities. The IRS uses this number to identify taxpayers that are required to file various business tax returns. EINs are used by employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, non-profit organizations, trusts and estates, government agencies, certain individuals and other business entities.

Organization Name (Back to Index)

Enter the organization’s name as it appears on the Instructions for Exemption Certificate Renewal letter sent to your organization. If the organization name has changed or is inaccurate on the Instructions for Exemption Certificate Renewal letter, indicate that the organization name has changed. You must provide documentation, such as Articles of Amendment, showing the updated name.

Physical Address Is Correct? (Back to Index)

Review the address on file. If your organization’s physical business location has changed, provide the new address information.

Please note that a PO Box cannot be used as the organization’s physical business location. If a PO Box is entered, the application will be denied.

Maryland DAT Dept. ID? (Back to Index)

If your organization’s physical business location is in Maryland, it may be required to register with the Department of Assessments and Taxation (DAT). You can retrieve your organization’s Maryland DAT Dept ID here:

Non-Profit Classification (Back to Index)

Identify the organization’s non-profit classification assigned by the IRS.

Does the Organization Derive It's Non-Profit Status From A Parent Organization? (Back to Index)

If your organization is covered under a group exemption and has received confirmation from the holder of the group exemption that your organization is covered, you must provide the parent organization’s group exemption number and FEIN.